Sunday, August 06, 2006

 

Firehouse 50... and I made it out alive

This weekend helped to really put things in perspective. I realized why I rarely race on the road. I lined up for the big firehouse race behind the 200 preferred start and second wave start riders. I managed to work my way through the madness by the first climb and with use of a little bit of bike handling skill I made it into the front of the pack. Early on I was active in chasing down a few breaks, breaks that were ultimately completely pointless. Most of the rest of the race was spent in the middle of the pack coasting along... until we hit 63. about 5 miles out I kicked it in the ass and got back on the front. I was up in the top 20 or so riders when we crested the final hill and could see grandview below, it was then that I heard it cCCCCRRRRAAAASSSSHSHHH! the riders behind me crashed to the ground.... I never looked back. THe last minute of the race was just like the intervals I've been doing all season... I ended up 12th out of 500 riders, some of them pros. Maybe road racing isn't so bad...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?